What causes a dripping tap
There are many different reasons for a tap to start dripping. Some of them you can easily fix yourself, for others, you do need a professional plumber to come in. If you are not sure, rather call in a professional before you flood your home trying to fix it
Potential causes of a dripping tap
- Water dripping from a tap can be due to a worn washer – step by step instructions on changing a worn washer can be found here
- Dripping taps after a washer has been replaced could mean that taps need reseating.
- To repair a tap that needs to be reseated a 24 hour plumbing service technician will use a specialised tool to re-cut a new surface to provide proper sealing
- Dripping taps that require tap repair can be extremely frustrating
- When you constantly need to tighten a tap tighter and tighter it means that there is something going wrong that needs to be repaired and in most cases it means a washer change
- In some cases taps cannot be taken apart to change a washer which means a complete tap replacement will be necessary
- Dripping taps are a common tap problem, in some cases the valve seal will have eroded as a result of a tap that has been left to drip for too long
- There are a number of different tap designs and each one can have a slightly different reason for breakage that result in the need to repair a tap
- Pressure build up of water from a cold water tap fed straight from the main supply creates erosion in the brass seat allowing water to pass under the washer and through the tap
- Some modern taps with washers made of a soft rubber are easily damaged when force is used to open and shut
Replacing dripping taps or buying new fixtures
Constantly dripping taps can become such a nuisance. Have you ever tried to concentrate or sleep with a tap that is leaking water? In some instances a tap repair can be rectified immediately by calling a 24 hour plumbing service. In order to repair a tap with water dripping from a taps handle requires tightening of the bolt inside.
Another idea to consider with continually dripping taps that are beginning to show wear and tear resulting in the need to repair a tap frequently would be to upgrade all your taps with new ones. You could call in a 24 hour plumbing service to do a tap repair or you could take the opportunity to replace all all the taps, not only the faulty tap, with a new fixture of your own choosing thus improving your home décor with something more pleasing and less irritating with no water dripping.
Contact Laws Plumbing
You can either call us directly on 078 225 9939 or send us a quick message and we will get back to you